Thursday, September 29, 2016

Round

In the dark times
will there also be singing?
Yes, there will also be singing
about the dark times.
--Bertolt Brecht
 
Source/Notes: Motto to the 'Svendborg Poems' [Motto der 'Svendborger Gedichte'] (1938), trans. John Willett in Poems, 1913-1956, p. 320 - Poems, 1913-1956 (1976)

I return today to this project, to this threshold, to this passage, to this vein, to this lagoon,
to begin, again, to offer only this, to end the silence of a year.
R.T.
 
 
Maybe I am Traveling (from The Book of Hours)
 
Maybe I am traveling, like some secret ore,
through the hard veins of a mountain, alone.
and no distance: nothing but a single core
that draws in all things and changes them to stone.
 
I don't have much wisdom about sorrow.
The vast darkness has made me smaller, it's true.
Are you the one solid enough? Come break through,
so that all of your touch might happen to me,
and all of my tears might happen to you.
 
Rainer Maria Rilke
 
Translated from German by Paul Weinfield, © 2014
See more translations from Paul Weinfield at his website, HERE


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help the spam filter, by confirming word verification. Thank you!