Thursday, July 11, 2013

COMEDY




COMEDY

After the storm last night, the sky
turned to cadmium hues, yellows – really –
it was like peering into the throat
of a honey-colored lily.
We’d never seen anything like that,
summer sky like a glowing firefly
and to the southeast
a rainbow in reply –


We watched King of Comedy after that;
it made me squirmy, embarrassed.
I wondered about other artist friends –
might they have felt it – that Rupert was like us,
believing in what we make
while the world taps finger to temple
thinks us a touch out of our minds –
insufficiently observant

of social cues and rules, we are
– loving everybody and everything
a little too much.
I wanted to crawl back to my cave, to tell the truth.
I would never kidnap a star
and go to jail, to get the world
to notice me and what I do.
Maybe I need to be crazier.

2 comments:

  1. Oh forget Rupert and craziness.
    Forget in particular measuring.
    Recollect the throat
    of the honey-colored lily.

    "It was enough today
    to see the invisible
    garlands of flight patterns
    songbirds looped
    over the madness of the garden."

    ReplyDelete

Please help the spam filter, by confirming word verification. Thank you!