Wednesday, June 6, 2012

"Leaves Of Grass"




POETS TO COME

Poets to come ! orators, singers, musicians to come !
Not to-day is to justify me and answer what I am for,
But you, a new brood, native, athletic, continental, greater than
          before known,
Arouse ! for you must justify me.

I myself but write one or two indicative words for the future,
I but advance a moment only to wheel and hurry back in the
         darkness.

I am a man who, sauntering along without fully stopping, turns a
         casual look upon you and then averts his face
Leaving it to you to prove and define it,
Expecting the main things from you.


~ WALT WHITMAN


Delaware Township, New Jersey, on my way to the studio, June 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please help the spam filter, by confirming word verification. Thank you!